Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Chateau and beautiful old buildings............

Today we got into the car and just drove, no satnav just followed our instincts. The country roads are all well signposted and we had fun discovering this part of France.
Each town has a beautiful old church of course and then there are the old houses, some well maintained some totally derelict. There seem to be so many empty buildings in this co
untry. Saw a couple of properties for sale, one would require so much work don't know if I would have the courage to take on something like that at this stage of my life.


This is one of the many stone churches not on the grand scale but very beautiful

This is the castle at Josselin, typical French style architecture. There is also a doll museum in this town for a future visit
This was a chateau we spotted on our outing today, the formal knot garden is just visible at the front of the picture. The well laid out gardens with topiary bushes could not be photographed as we were too far away on the other side of the river.
We visit Pontivy quite frequently for shopping and I have always been intrigued with the road sign pointing to Rohan. Remember Rohan from Lord of the Rings? This was our first stop on our drive today, lots of narrow winding streets and amazing old buildings including an ancient timbered street market. Spotted this beautiful house near the river. Whilst this town was quite beautiful still have not found the Rohan I was hoping for!


The bare wintry trees are full of mistletoe, there is not a lot on this tree but it does show just how big the bunches grow. This parasitic plant is very widespread in Europe and I have always spotted large bunches in trees in Germany and now France. I have not seem much in England but presumably in country areas it is also quite prolific. 'Tho a poisonous plant it is used as a herbal medicine in some countries and I was intrigued in my research to discover that there is even mistletoe in Africa!
Enjoy the pictures I need to get back to making bears.

Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.

2 comments:

Southern Bears said...

What a beautiful place.
Surely this must be making your artistic juices pump!

Wendy & Megan Chamberlain said...

Oh Pat I am just itching to get sketchpad and pencils out. Just have to wait for some slightly warmer weather! Fortunately I did pack some basic items so I can get back into my drawing

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails