Friday, March 9, 2012

Today is a special day for Megan ...........

Two blog updates in one day, something of a miracle!

Just before Christmas, whilst shopping in Cambridge and visiting charity shops, I spotted a framed vintage sampler.   It was a bit pricey and I was in hurry as I should have been shopping not looking for collectibles.   I sort of mentally bookmarked it as a present for Megan's birthday.   Life happened and I just did not manage to get back to the shop until the last week in February.    After searching the entire shop I could not find it and went home somewhat disappointed and annoyed with myself for not getting back there sooner. 

Today is Megan's special birthday and yesterday we visited Cambridge as a sort of pre birthday treat.   The first thing I spotted as I walked into the Oxfam shop was the special sampler just waiting for me!   Guess I must have missed it last time!!!   Megan loves embroidery and is thrilled with her gift.  This cross stitch sampler,  stitched by Sophie Mary Bolton in 1842,  is perhaps the start of a collection,  although embroidered samplers are not easy to find.   Megan removed the tape at the back of the picture in the hope that perhaps there might just be some sort of provenance hidden away inside the frame.   The sampler has been 'glued' to the board but with age the glue is no longer holding it securely.    Will have to carefully remove the embroidery, stitch it to a piece of muslin and then re-frame it using acid free board.   It was a great find and after some research, seems quite a bargain.


I have collected embroidered items from markets and charity shops for many years,  most of which were almost given away.   Initially I started buying as I felt a little sad that these beautifully stitched creations were perhaps 'unfashionable' and I enjoyed using beautiful tablecloths and other items in my home.    With the renewed interest in crafts,  these items have now become quite collectible. 

After some rather strange weather this past week including a snow storm on Sunday, yesterday was the most glorious spring day with clear blue skies.   Took the opportunity to take some pics whilst in Cambridge, first a courtyard inside one of the colleges ..........


A gargoyle on one of the churches ...


and a carved section of wall,  I find it fascinating how each of  these tiny faces is different, the carved stonework repeated around the entire building.


A beautiful painted and carved ceiling in a chapel.....


The narrow street has a façade of rather mundane buildings with a doorway leading into a courtyard containing an assortment of incredible buildings and gardens usually with a second entrance leading to a larger courtyard  of architectural delights such as this one....


Still busy stitching for the on line show and orders.   I have unfortunately fallen under the 'Pinterest' spell and have spent a little too much time 'pinning' lots of wonderful pictures.   Quite fun to have a digital scrapbook but very addictive.

Lots of correspondence to follow up and special friends to write to, definitely wishing for more hours in the day.   With my planned reading challenge target of 100 books this year (so far have managed 17) think I will have to cut back on sleeping!

Have a wonderful weekend ...........

'Fairy tales are more than true:  not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten'  ~  G K Chesterton

1 comment:

June said...

I love it when you show photos from your beautiful country Wendy! Cambridge is full of beauty I see.
I am so happy that you found the sampler as a special gift. It is amazing that these are still around after so many years. I love the age on this piece. Truly a treasure.
I read about your success at the show. That is wonderful! All those little sweet bears going to new homes. It must give you so much joy to know that others love them as much as you do!
I know what you mean about Pinterest. I'm hooked too!
sending hugs from here...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails