Saturday, June 18, 2011

Stop the world I want to get off .................

Remember the bumper sticker that said 'I don't have one of those days, I have one of those lives'. This week has been a real test of my endurance and by Friday I felt mentally and physically exhausted and aching in every joint of my body (more about that later).
The week began quietly enough then I was asked to help out at my usual temp assignment for one afternoon which became three afternoons. Wednesday started with Bronwen discovering a flat tyre on her car early in the morning which required RAC assistance as three women very bravely attempted to be self sufficient but the dratted wheelnuts totally defeated us. I carefully planned my morning, clean the house, strip beds and do three loads of washing, take Mervyn to the doctor for a blood test, come home, have lunch then go to work.  The doctor's surgery is a 10-15 minute drive away depending on traffic. I did not anticipate road works and grass cutting but we only arrived one minute late. Wait in the car and he returns some few minutes later, the doctor/receptionist forgot to mention that this was a fasting blood test so he was told to return early on Friday morning. Returned home just in time to rescue all the washing as it was starting to rain, grab a sandwich and rush to work. We had a full house Wed night as Austin, YoonMi and Victoria arrived to stay overnight as the next day was to be a special event for Austin.
We left home early on Thursday morning for Colchester for the 3 Para Afghanistan active service medal parade. The weather was mild with a relatively clear sky but there was mention of rain showers later in  the day. We were directed to the far side of the parade ground with all the other 3 Para family members. The weather started to change and the heavens opened, nowhere to sit or take shelter and only small umbrellas. The parade started and we discovered that we were situated on the wrong side of the parade ground and could not see any sign of Austin. Fortunately the weather cleared a little and Prince Charles and Camilla arrived to hand out medals to very damp soldiers. This part of the ceremony over we now had to wait for photographs to be taken all of which took several hours. Growing up in Africa I have learnt to read the weather by changes in the sky and the black forbidding sky rapidly heading in our direction with distant thunder should have forewarned me. The cloudburst that followed was rather like taking a shower fully clothed! Trying to keep a three month old baby and my elderly frail husband dry was not much fun especially as a cold wind started blowing and we were out in the open. Perhaps the final irony was that Austin was given the wrong medal and before leaving had to find some one to sort out that little problem. We eventually left for home, stopping to get something warm to drink and eat. As it was now 4pm the restaurant was no longer serving warm meals! A two hour journey home in heavy traffic and wet through was an interesting experience, at least the sun came out and warmed us a little and dried the front of our clothing. A day to remember or more likely forget.
Friday morning I ached in just about every bone in my body and spent most of the day trying to regain my usual equilibrium and joie de vivre.
I am now frantically trying to complete my bears for the next on line show, amazing how a few weeks ago I confidently thought it was still so far away, no need to panic there would be plenty of time ............
This is Blossom the wonderful little pink elephant Megan has recently designed. The pattern is now available from our Etsy store.
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend..............

Weather is a great metaphor for life - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and there's nothing much you can do about it but carry an umbrella. ~Terri Guillemets

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails