Thursday, May 26, 2011

An interesting weekend.........

I have been busy this week trying to complete all the little bears sitting waiting on my work table. With outings and family celebrations this past weekend there was little time for work but I do have lots of pictures to share.

On Saturday a plant sale was held at Buckden Towers. Our previous visit was in December and it was cold and miserable. It is very different on a warm summer's day with all the plants and herbs in flower.
The Towers were the home of Queen Katherine of Aragon for a short while and the knot garden named in her honour was open to the public for the day.  A beautiful gate at the entrance...
leading to the exquisite and well maintained knot garden. Always wanted one of these but think that the upkeep would somewhat daunting................



My knowledge of Queen Katherine has always been limited to her rather sad life as the unwanted wife of a despotic King and that she was the mother of Queen Mary I. I was interested to discover that she served as Spanish Ambassador, thus becoming the first female ambassador in European history. She was well read, spoke several languages and rather controversially for her time, claimed women had the right to an education. She also started an extensive programme for the relief of the poor.
A picture of the church tower taken from the garden framed by the amazing walkway with espalier trees and beautiful roses......
a little statue hidden under the shrubs and herbs ...........

a 'throw away' which I would love to have for my garden ..........

and of course no blog of mine would be complete without some flowers and a tree ...........

a mass of purple campanula in full flower and an ancient oak tree, so big I could not easily fit it into my picture ......
My family have become used to my communing with trees but I do attract some odd looks when I stand with my hands on a tree!
Sunday was a day for a family celebration as Mervyn celebrated another special birthday. I got to spend time with my special little granddaughter who is now starting to smile when we talk to her. She is a lot easier to hold as her head is almost fully 'glued' in place and she is growing so quickly. Until next time ..............


History is a symphony of echoes heard and unheard. It is a poem with events as verses. ~Charles Angoff

2 comments:

June said...

Hi Wendy,
I loved reading about Queen Katherine. A woman ahead of her time for sure. Thank you for the trio to the tower's knot gardens. They are beautiful!
I think you and I must be kindred spirits. I have a love for trees to the point that when I walk through my gardens I touch each one and give it a loving hello.
hugs from here...

VS said...

I LOVE this post & I soooo want to go to this AWESOME castle!!! I love history & Katherine of Aragon is a sad yet fascinating women. Plain & simple, Henry the VIII SUCKED!! I love watching the Tudors & the things that man got away with was scandlous even for todays standards.
Back to your post, loved it & next time you go to a castle can you put me in your pocket & take me along with you???
Pretty Please!!! ;)
Hugs for you & the tree..
Susie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails