Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Of squirrels and mice and things...................

Having heard the sound of tiny feet in our ceiling I discovered that we have a resident squirrel family. Not sure if this a good thing but as I am tolerant of all living creatures (with the exception perhaps of spiders) unless they cause major damage they are more than welcome to stay there.
On cutting back some very overgrown areas in the garden I discovered an incredible number of ladybirds. As I was putting all the clippings into a plastic bag this meant that I had to rescue lots of tiny little creatures, crazy I know. I have been putting out all the kitty food scraps in the corner of the garden and as they are disappearing something is obviously eating them, not sure if we have a resident hedgehog. The birds are slowly appearing to enjoy the food in the bird feeder but the numbers are considerably less than I was used to seeing in France. Perhaps there is more food around for them but possibly with the advent of winter they might visit us more often.
Walking back home last evening I saw the neighbor's cat displaying a lot of interest at something in the grass. Knowing that cats are mean creatures I had to investigate and found a tiny mouse desperately trying to escape. My scarf was put to handy use and I deposited the terrified little soul far away on the other side of the field.
My gardening is a lot slower than usual, don't seem to have time to do everything at the moment. My purchase of a large bag of daffodils is still sitting in the garden shed, must try and start planting them soon. Perhaps it is a feeling of this not being our permanent home that is making me a little hesitant so I might just plant them in pots for the moment.
We drove to March today to find our nearest Lidl store. Interested to discover that it is much the same as the French version only difference, prices in sterling and no battling with French translation! On the way home I spotted a sign for a garden centre so we took a detour and it was a wonderful find. Very well laid out with lots of well cared for plants and beautiful things. There were also interesting items such as squirrel and ladybird feeders and food as well as the usual bird food and pet food. Well worth another visit as this is definitely the best garden centre I have seen so far in England.
We managed to complete our bear order only being a day late for our deadline, so they are now in the post and we can breath again. One of the hardest things to learn when self employed is the discipline needed to put everything aside and actually earn a living! Something I had thought I had sorted out in my life but with all the upheavals of the past year it is taking time to get back into a routine again. Of course as soon as the bills start arriving you soon remember where your priorities lie.
To end some pics of the many taken in France which I am still trying to sort through. These are just random shots, an early morning spider web in the garden, the floral entrance to a church and
a particularly beautiful wayside cross.
Until next time.................

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails