Saturday, June 20, 2009

A yellow bear and another journey .......................

This week we drove to Josselyn to visit the English bookshop! After eating our picnic lunch by the river, we decided to make a random choice of another town to visit using the wonderful guide book which I found at the local tourist office in Pontivy. This book lists many of the special historic towns in Brittany and is an invaluable guide (it is written in English). Our choice for the day was Malestroit and the picture above is taken from one of the bridges looking towards the old part of the town with the church. On arrival I was initally disappointed and could not see what was so special about this town. It was a very hot day and I do not have a sunhat (in storage) and did not wish to walk too far. After an abortive attemp to drive up a very narrow street turned around and on the way out of the town found the ruins of a beautiful church. Most of these historic sites have very informative signs (mostly in French) with the history of the buildings etc. I will have to sit and do some translating but so far I have managed to ascertain that the church was destroyed in the 100 year war between France and England. I have included some pictures taken of the church inside and out, not a big building but very interesting.



Deciding that there must be more to see I returned to the centre of the town. After parking the car in a rather modern and grubby town square we walked down one of the roads and found a wonderful area of old buildings and yet another ancient church. This beautiful carving is from the front of the church. As I am quite snap happy (what did we do before digital cameras!) I have acquired another large number of photographs to edit and put into an album. Must do something this week.......................

Back to things 'beary' this is a little very rotund yellow bear I have just completed. This is not one of my patterns but I needed to do something different and he has the look of a 'care' bear. I was lazy and used a glass nose which suits him I think, he even has a little tail.
Have a good weekend .........................

History with its flickering lamp stumbles along the trail of the past, trying to reconstruct its scenes, to revive its echoes, and kindle with pale gleams the passion of former days. ~Winston Churchill

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails