Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer Solstice and at last a menhir....................

Today we celebrate summer solstice in the northern hemisphere. This is the longest day of the year and it is quite amazing that it is still very light until after 10.30 pm in the evenings. Now the days will start to shorten quick rapidly I always find.
More to the point after much seeking I found a genuine menhir and here is a picture of it in all its glory. The picture of Mervyn I could not resist as it does at least show the size of this stone.
On one of our journeys to nowhere late yesterday afternoon as I took my final pics of a very quaint town I spotted a menhir sign pointing up a back road. Took this road praying that I would not meet any cars coming in the opposite direction as it was extremely narrow. Finally spotted the menhir at the top of a field. Braving long grass and fortunately very dry cow pats, we managed to get into the field and take some pics. Quite forgotten it would seem but set at the highest point around with an amazing view out across the valley. Wonder who put it there and how on earth they got it in position? The age old question I suppose but my curiousity has been satisfied, I was disappointed on my visit to Stonehenge some years ago to discover that I could only wander outside a fenced area far from the actual stones. This is to protect the area from vandalism I suppose. This stone in a field somewhere in France is just there and easily accessible. Something to feed my Celtic soul.
Walking back to the car I discovered wild German chamomile growing extensively in the field and helped myself to a small plant to add to my growingl collection of herbs.
My final picture is a group of local residents in Bretan costume, unfortunately not the best picture but the lace headdress is quite fascinating.

Until next time................

In the hopes of reaching the moon men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet. ~Albert Schweitzer

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails