Friday, January 21, 2011

The twists and turns on the road of life .....

A long overdue blog update. I have been busy working on bears and several days temping kept me away from my computer.
There was also my decision that the long overdue planting of spring bulbs should happen before it was just too late necessitating several days cleaning out and digging over the glutinous mud in our garden. The daffodils should have been planted in September apparently. Wonder what happens when you plant them in early January! A late flowering perhaps? Two of our local garden centres offered free daffodil bulbs some months ago providing customers with a small paper bag to fill. Obviously if you are clever and pack them well you get more bulbs. A very sweet elderly lady instructed me to pack them in layers facing up and down which worked well and I had two lots of bulbs sitting in the garage waiting for planting. I planted the bulbs saved from last spring quite some weeks ago as well as some wonderful poppy seeds. I must admit to being one of nature's scavengers . The enormous pink poppies were growing on waste land near the doctor's surgery and in autumn we collected some of the seed heads. Dried over winter these harvested an amazing quantity of tiny seeds which I sprinkled liberally in the front garden. These are starting to germinate and we should have a colourful display in summer.
This has been a week of ups and downs. The down was my final visit to the dentist to replace a veneer from my front tooth at considerable expense. The upside is that we have been offered a renewal of the lease on this house for a full twelve months. This is a big relief, just cannot face the prospect of moving for some time yet and hopefully we can start to feel a little more settled. I find the tendency in England to lease properties for a period of six months at a time a strange system.
My indoor hyacinth bulbs are starting to flower, rather short hope they gain some height but they do smell wonderful ...................

The orchid has somehow managed to survive my inexpert care and is at the moment flourishing ...........


the fern in the conservatory is looking green and quite magnificent having survived the house move, being knocked over and falling out of the pot etc ...........

My final picture is my Merlin kitty, his fur is growing back quite nicely but he is still rather a tatty cat.


Have some five bears almost complete, just need jointing, ears and eyes and I will share some pictures in the next few days. In the meantime I should get back to work, have a great weekend.

God made the world round so we would never be able to see too far down the road.~Isak Dinesen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails